Dear foster carer, I like it when you…
- Are there for me and welcome me as part of your family.
- Are a good listener and take a real interest in my life, have a sense of humour, smile and have fun with me.
- Are supportive and when you celebrate my achievements and show me that you are proud of me.
- Encourage me to learn and understand about my cultural identity and beliefs when helping me to record my life story.
- Don’t give up or lose faith with me when things are hard. I know we can get through it together.
- Inspire me to get involved with sport, music and other activities I enjoy. This really helps to build my self-esteem.
- Keep your promises to be honest, to listen to me and to build my trust in you.
- Are a good communicator and fight for my rights whilst encouraging me to have a say in decisions that affect me.
- Provide support so we can learn together as a family.
- Give me one-on-one time – remember you are important to me!
- Are able to put yourself in my shoes, whilst remembering to meet my needs.
- Keep me informed about important decisions that are made about me.
Do you agree? What do you expect from your foster carer? Share your thoughts below!